Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The New Kitchen Help

Come on in and meet the girls...

I had never cooked with cast iron until about a year ago. The cookware that I had received when we got married 15 years ago was looking pretty bad, so I began to shop for some new stuff. I wanted something that would not leach metal toxins into our food, and Hard Anodized just wasn't suiting me. I found a cast iron pot at my friend's moving sell, and was soon hooked.

This 7 quart beauty was a Christmas gift from my Mother-in-law.
I cook an extra large pot of soup or a roast with veggies with this girl.
Despite her size, she never scorches.
*Ain't* she sweet!!

Old-fashioned cast iron, it is a basic element. I have pretty much used it exclusively for several months now and I find it user-friendly. I seasoned everybody well when they came to live with me and the more I use them they seem to season themselves, now.


My griddle *ain't* stained and dirty, she is well-seasoned!
Can you picture a row of yummy turkey bacon?


I may be cooking with cast iron, but this isn't your usual country fried cooking. Remember, we choose iron for its health benefits, Ya'll. (LOL!! I am Paula Dean gone healthy!)

[clearing throat] My husband is NOT laughing. Anyway...

They distribute heat better than ANY cookware I have use before. (Now, I have cook with some fancy pans.) They hold heat for a very long time so once I get the food to the desired temperature I can turn the eyes off, close the iron lid and leave, and the girls continue cooking for HOURS. I am so pleased.

If you use them often, even eggs will not stick.
This stuff is more stick-resistant than Tephlon.

As far as the toxins I was concerned about, these ladies actually leach good minerals into our food. Here it is from the notable Dr. Weil:

"A study published in the July 1986 issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association showed that cooking in cast iron skillets added significant amounts of iron to 20 foods tested. For example, the researchers reported that the iron content of three ounces of applesauce increased from 0.35 mg to 7.3 mg and scrambled eggs increased from 1.49 mg to 4.76 mg of iron. "
This is one I got from my friend's yard sell.
I cook rice in her last night. Again, NO sticking.

The only downsides are that you cannot leave them to soak or they will rust, but maybe that is not such a downside as I should be more inclined to wash them right away and am happier that way.The other downside is that they are heavy, especially the big dutch oven when loaded with food, but nothing I can't handle.

Thank you, Ladies.

3 comments:

  1. I am IMpressed!I have a cast iron skillet and I like it a lot, but I can't imagine eggs in it. You are pretty good with these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I convinced Sam that I wanted a cast iron skillet for the anniversary that is iron. He actually got it! I was excited, but after a couple of flops on cornbread, I don't think it's come out in a while....

    You'll have to give me some good recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace,

    I feel silly because I never make cornbread in my cast iron. I just go for the tried and true Jiffy mix. I tried a cornbread recipe on a corn meal bag, but it wasn't as good. Sorry, I cannot help you there.

    I cook everything else in my cast iron stuff. Last night I cooked spaghetti and today I am cooking veggie soup.

    ReplyDelete