Friday, May 1, 2009

Blanket Training Baby




In the Duggar's new book, Twenty and Counting, Michelle Duggar has shared several good ideas for child training. A few of them I am putting into practice in my house. (I am thinking that if they help her raise up 18 well-behaved little ones, surely they will be beneficial for my 3 soon to be 4.)

I have started blanket training our 16 month old. This is a method of helping him learn self-control, and it forces him into needed down time through quiet play. I have simply picked one of his favorite blankets, one that is not too bulky so it will travel in my purse. During spontaneous moments throughout the day, I pull out the blanket and make a big deal about how it is time for Blanket Time. I tell Aaron that he is a big boy and can sit on his blanket and play quietly. Then I give him one toy that I know should hold is attention for a little while and I sit them both on the blanket. I use a timer that I set for 5 minutes. I will gradually increase the time as he become more comfortable with blanket time. Michelle Duggars children can sit on the blanket for 30 minutes at a time.


Here he is nosing around in the bathroom,
dangerously close to the potty.
HE NEEDS THIS!!


When he is finished, I give him lots of praise for his accomplishment. His sisters are quick to offer plenty of praise too. He like to help me fold the blanket and put it away, and we put away his toy. Maybe this is also giving me an opportunity to focus on helping him learn to clean up after himself, which is an added benefit.

By the way, Michelle's rule is that if they throw the toy off the blanket they cannot get it back nor can they have a replacement. I think this is a good rule.

Aaron seems excited when I get the blanket out, and he welcomes the experience again and again seeming comforted by its familiarity, but after he has been on the blanket for a minute or two he wants to get off. It seems that Aaron likes to play blanket time on his terms, but this is when we help him understand what mommy expects, and how he can develop self-control to follow through. I can see that this will be very good for him. ;)


It will be a benefit for me because I can pull the blanket out during times when I need to focus my attention on something like a project with the older children or food preparation. Pre-Blanket Time days, during those moments that I need to direct attention elsewhere, he would begin pillaging throughout the house pulling books off shelves and bowls out of cabinets making a mess of everything. Yes, this will be good for Mommy as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment